Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mixing (Or, have you ever listened to the same song for six hours?)

Yesterday was Day One of mixing Album 2 at Avast Classic in lovely Wallingford. Mark, our engineer, is indulging in my insane notion that we can mix 11 songs in two days, so we're back in the sweet cradle that is the control room getting cracking this morning. Yesterday, we started off the day getting kind of a baseline level and EQ set for the instruments which involved what seemed to be endless tweaking of knobs and faders. Six hours later, we had ourselves a mix. From there, it's been fairly zippy mixing since we have everything set, more or less, based off that first song, but let me tell you people, you don't know madness until you listen to the same song over, and over, and over again for half a day.


We're using this old German plate reverb that's about the size of a ping-pong table. It's wicked.
Personally, I just feel a glow from the studio because one of my favorite albums of all time, The Hot Rock by Sleater-Kinney, was recorded here, in addition to some Built to Spill albums I really enjoy. Oh, and that first Band Of Horses record I that I don't really give a shit about was mixed here.

We have a long day ahead of us, so I anticipate getting out of here in about, record in-hand, sometime during the wee hours of Wednesday morning, but goddammit, the record sounds rad! You should be excited to hear it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home