Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Ooops

Apparently, my dumb ass offended some folks. You see, I've been captivated by World War II propaganda imagery from both the good and the bad guys. I think it's facinating in that 1984/Big Brother loves you/Obey kind of way that art was used by governments in an attempt to brainwash their respective citizens into the us=good, them=evil mentality. So, I decided to borrow a couple graphics for Hellgate poster use.

The first image I borrowed was the one shown in the previous blog. It's also the default image on our myspace lately. It's probably a generic enough of an image that few people would know that the bomb was headed towards a swastika in the original image, but it's fine because bombing swastikas the kind of thing I can back up.

Next, I used an image for a poster to advertise our show at the Blue Moon this Saturday, September 15th (Free!) that was just a picture of an SS soldier. Anyone who paid attention in history class knows the mark of a nazi soldier. I thought the image was bold and didn't particularly associate us or the show with nazis, so I used it. Apparently, I was wrong.

So, I apologize if the image of the SS soldier offended anyone. H Is for Hellgate does not support fascism, communism, anti-semitism, or the nazi party. We do support rock music and brainwashing people into liking us. That's all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For whatever it's worth, I understood where you were coming from. I thought it was kind of funny that you'd slap a Nazi on my MySpace comments right after I climbed into bed with an anti-fascist organization (http://www.myspace.com/ifyoudonttheywill) to promote my Iceage Cobra/Madraso/Mos Generator show (September 22nd at the Blue Moon), but I knew you weren't making a political statement.

I was, however, going to call you out over your contention that the OTHER poster was intended for "battling communism", since the bomb was clearly headed into a Japanese Rising Sun flag - presumably from the era when Japan was an Axis power.

But, you know... I didn't wanna be a NERD or anything...

4:41 PM  
Blogger Jamie H said...

Touche, nerd. "Battling communism" was a generalization about the bad guys during the first half of the 20th century. "Battling axis powers" would have been a more accurate statement.

http://www.earthstation1.com/Warposters/jckaelin/More_Production_jk.jpg

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But the Axis powers were fascist... not communist. The communists - Soviet and Chinese alike - were more or less on our team at that point.

I'm nitpicking. In front of Sean Nelson, no less. I'll leave you alone and go back to my Civil War re-enactments or whatever.

xo,
MB

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home