Monday, October 13, 2008

Sneak Peak - Thunderbolt

Each Monday until our second full-length album Come For the Peaks, Stay For the Valleys is released on December 2nd, I'll be posting a song off the record on our myspace page for you to preview and enjoy and talking a little bit about each song on this here blog.



"Thunderbolt" is kind of a follow-up to last week's song, "Be Prepared To Die Alone." I wrote it after I felt like my relationship, and my post-massive-loss head, had been though the worst of it and things were turning up. I wrote it as a gesture of optimism and it was more or less a plea for my g/f to channel whatever strength she had gained in the previous months, tell me everything would be okay, and take care of for a little bit longer. It ended up being a useless request because we broke up before it was recorded and I don't think she's ever even heard the song. Ahh, the plight of the songwriter....


I wrote this song after writing "Dusk At Devil's Tower," a song I'll blog about in a few weeks. That song draws upon Greek mythology and Native American legends. I carried that interest over with images of Athena because she's a badass and I needed a badass around.


I aimed to get a little jazzier and weirder with the music, although the only really weird part is the soft/loud thing, which really isn't that weird. Of course, a bunch of time was spent with David, Ben and I trying to nail the three-way runs at the end of the song. The hardest part about recording the song was probably the acoustic intro - it's really hard not to shift around because the condenser mics will pick up EVERYTHING.


I think that's all I have to say about this one. It's probably not any one's favorite song on the record, but I care a lot about it because it marked a turning point for me.


Thunderbolt

The labrys split the forehead from which she arrived
All grown up, battle ready and signing a war cry
It's on

From the lance drips the city's affront
Crimson in the light, crimson into the night
Let's go

Broken horse
Thunderbolt
Serpent and a staff
I swear we'll be okay
I'll take care of you

Just look at you, plain clothes and plain faced
The owl was lost, winged fury flew off
No skill and no grace
You're done

One last chance to survive

Your counselor
Your warrior
Your healer
Your champion
I'll take care of you

Your courage
Your craft
Your vision
Your back
I'll take care of you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home