Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sneak Preview - Pretty, Pretty Princess

Each Monday (okay, I'm late this week) until our second full-length album Come For the Peaks, Stay For the Valleys is released on December 2nd, I'll be posting a song off the record on our myspace page for you to preview and enjoy and talking a little bit about each song on this here blog.



PPP was the first song I wrote for the new record and the first song we recorded for the album. Taking that first step to write the first song for a new collection is a little intimidating because it sets the tone for the songs to follow. I'm actually in this very same place now as I'm starting writing for our thrid album. As a result, I spent a lot of time tweaking the arrangement and trying to insert a bunch of twists and turns which makes it a pretty fun song to play.


The inspiration initially came from a friend's relationship (because mine wasn't yet in shambles. I was happy and, really, who wants to listen to happy songs?) but over time I decided that it was mine. It became especially satisfying to yell all the swear words. Although, I have to say that overdubbing vocals and swear words is pretty hilarious. "(music.........) you motherfucking princess! (music.....)"


Pretty, Pretty Princess

Good morning, I love you
And I can surely live without you, girl

Watching her go

There was nothing left to talk about
We had hashed it out
And slashed and smashed ourselves
Until we were like the dust on dust
But with a breeze she was gone
And I was like, “hello, hello?”
Pick up the phone.
Fine, don’t come home

It’s a hex, at best, that I’ll never rest
And I don’t have time for such a pretty, pretty princess

Guess who’s to blame?
Let’s see…it’s me
I’m the repeat offender
Of totally not keeping my shit together
But c’est la vie
And c’est le mort
Because dead is what I’ll be
after you tear my fucking heart apart

It’s a hex, at best, that I’ll never rest
And you can have it all you motherfucking princess

I can’t see the wind, but I know it exists
I knew someday I would be on the other side of the fist

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home