Thursday, October 26, 2006

Better Late Than Never

Currently listening to: R.E.M - Monster

From 6:00 AM until 8:00 AM, Teresa and I hung flyers for the rock show bonanza this weekend. This is the glorious life of an aspiring professional musician. Booyah.

We were, fortunately assisted with coffee from Vivace at 6:15 AM and later from Caffe Vita at 7:45 AM. I was effectively cracked out for a good portion of my work day. You may not know this, but typing code is difficult when your fingers are having their own epilepsy-style party.

I'm really, really excited about the shows this weekend. Even though I previously ranted about trying not to have the band tied to a gender identity, I'm looking forward to a night with the girls at the Skylark (with Gina Young and Tiger Teenagers). I'm also really stoked about the Friday show at the Blue Moon. I feel like it's totally going to throw me back to the Jay's Upstairs days with the dive bar and friend bands and Halloween weekend agenda of chaos and intoxication.

In other news: Arrrg!! Both Chop Suey and the Crocodile offered us a show right smack in between two shows we already have booked. For those of you unfamiliar with the Unspoken Rules of Booking Local Bands, it's really bad to book shows too closely together unless you have scores of screaming teenagers coming to every show. If you're like most bands we've played with, your friends and their friends usually come to the shows, even though you throw down time and money into multiple forms of promotion. I am told: this is how it goes. It's part of the "hard work." So, if you play too many shows, it will, in theory, thin out your crowd. Bars tend to like crowds because crowds tend to buy many drinks in exchange for money.

Anyway, totally side-tracked. I had to turn down the shows at both venues which, one in H is for Hellgate's position, might equate to a "resume building" venue. Oh snap. Fingers crossed that they'll remember us the next time they need a band whose music spans beyond fad, genre, and gender ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home