Saturday, January 20, 2007

Oh my head


Currently listening to: my head
Currently reading: Seattle Sound magazine

Playing at the Blue Moon always provides for interesting times. When we last played there in the fall, a couple days before Halloween, some old character and I had a conversation. And by "conversation" I mean, "beer bathed blurts of words from a toothless bearded dude and me trying not to react." It went like this (I'll call him "Chuck"):
Me: Would you like some candy? (I was giving out candy since it was close to Halloween.)

Chuck: You got any TP!?

Me: (generally doesn't have TP on hand unless in a bathroom) No.

Chuck: Where do you live!?

Me: Not anywhere near here
Chuck: You got a lawn!?

Me: No

Chuck: There's my bathroom! Your lawn!

If you've never visited the Blue Moon before, you might be surprised to learn that conversations like that are not out of the ordinary. But you shouldn't be scared. It's a charming place with equal parts of personality and grime.

Anyway, last night we played. I think the same old guy asked me to dance. But with Indonesian Junk (JUNK!), the Resets (super sweet baritone guitar and satanic vocal effects...yeah!) and A Gun that Shoots Knives (the best band name ever), it was a hootenanny. With all the stress of planning the CD release and the tour, it was nice to just let go of things and remember that I play music, I'm not really in the music management business.
Other highlights included:
1) the gift of a possible new band name bestowed upon us by the audience: Saber Tooth
2) Matt from NadaMucho sniffing my neck (during the set, I claimed to have smelled like Chinese Food and old people but, apparently, I smelled fresh and clean).

3) At some point I decided it would be more efficient to drink my beer directly out of the pitcher. Thus, the sorry state of my head this morning.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If memory serves, in bin of cassette tapes in one of the boxes upstairs, I've got a rare copy of an early Henkensiefken release, circa 1997-ish, containing a song titled "Oh my head" (referencing a traumatic hair-dye experience resulting in a 'cursed triangle'- exposing glimmers of early lyrical genious), coupled with the catchy yet confounding phrase "truck, truck, slush, punch."

Anyone else out there familiar with this ultra-vintage H (aka 'Jamie Phenomenal') track?

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home